Sunday, December 9, 2012

Movie Review: Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Edition


If you’ve never met me, only know me in passing online, then you may not know this, but Lord of the Rings really changed the way I looked at literature and movies, the story moving and affecting in a troubling time for me.  I won’t go into details, in retrospect, it wasn’t really all that bad of a situation, but to watch the story come to life, it was just amazing.

I can’t say I’m as excited to see ‘The Hobbit,’ which comes out next week, but I will, of course see it.  What always astounds me about the Lord of the Rings is that the scope of the story is massive – just a behemoth of a story, on par with War and Peace.  With countless characters and storylines, Peter Jackson brings it all together. I do wonder, ten years later, if Jackson wonders if he could have had six movies and not three, given the breaking up of the finales for Harry Potter and Twilight.

I couldn’t help but notice countless ‘movie mistakes’ in this latest viewing.  There are so many instances where people switch from left to right, a clear example of the frames being flipped.  I mean, if Aragorn is holding a torch in one hand, a sword in another, and yet, miraculously, the items switch hands in seconds.  These are the things that are unearthed after too many viewings.

I can’t begin to distil the girth of the story, suffice it to say, it lets you escape the realities of our lives and live in another world, in another time, see good sacrifice greatly to triumph over evil.  Well worth the watch and has stood the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment