Sunday, March 23, 2014

Movie Review: Muppets Most Wanted

I’ve always loved the Muppets.  When we were kids, my sister and I would watch the Muppet show.  We may not have ever understood all the jokes or why everything was hilarious, but Jim Henson made some of the most compelling characters with old clothes and ping pong balls.  In this, according to Bunson Honeydew pointed out, seventh sequel and on the heels of the last Muppet movie, the group is convinced by Ricky Gervais to do a world tour. 

What happens next is a cohesive story, for the most part.  The thing that struck me the most was that I never felt all that invested in the story.  In the last one, Walter, the newest Muppet, wanted to join the Muppets and bring them out of retirement.  In this instalment, the story is very different and somehow didn’t get me all that interested.  It almost felt like a disjointed episode of The Muppet Show, except with one story-line that just seemed, well, done. 

I would never, ever, tell anyone not to see a Muppet movie.  If you have kids, this is a must see.  If you’re an adult that grew up with the Muppets, you might want to go early so you only spend a little to see something that is a caricature of what used to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment