Sunday, November 2, 2014

Movie Review: Before I Go to Sleep

Up for contention for this weeks’ movie was either Nightcrawler or Before I Go to Sleep.  The decision was made based on which movie started earliest.  While the reviews for the former movie were better, it is all about timing.  After I discovered that the mall Cinnabon wasn’t open until 11, I might have changed my vote, but it’s too late now and I didn’t get to smuggle, or eat, a Cinnabon today.

This movie is another movie based on a book.  I didn’t know this beforehand and I’m not sure that knowing that, after seeing the movie, that I want to read the book.  The story was interesting.  Nicole Kidman’s character, Christine, suffers from daily amnesia, waking up each day not knowing what had happened for the last fourteen years.  Needless to say, the acting was superb, more so given Colin Firth played opposite Kidman and both are quite gifted actors.  With the main character searching for answers to her own past, makes the story move quickly and hastens the pace of the suspense.  Not long into the movie the audience learns that Christine had a child that died years earlier and that her husband had been hiding that and her other friends to, supposedly, spare her the turmoil of forgetting and remembering them over and over again.

The plot felt like it devolved in the last twenty minutes, but after sticking with Kidman for that long, it would have cheated the story to not give her, or the audience, closure.  I wanted to enjoy the movie more, and I was surprised by some of the twists and turns, even if the story was giving ample hints as to what is an obvious sort of plot point.  I would hate to spoil the movie, but I will say that for $7, it was well worth seeing, not to mention the fabulous cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment