Monday, March 14, 2016

Movie Review: Deadpool

Another super hero movie, I know where my expectations are set, yet you shouldn’t expect Deadpool to be your average super hero movie.  I should preface this blog by saying I have (in the past) been a bit of a comic book fan and I’ve read quite a few Deadpool comics (which I’ve since sold on e-bay).  Deadpool is almost an anti-hero.  Think of him as the least bad option in a sea of bad options.  It isn’t that he’s a villain, no, it’s that he chooses to do the harshest thing, kind of like Punisher, but in a less crazed sort of manner and with less of an origin story, of which the movie sort of glossed over to get to the mind numbing action.

When I first heard about this movie, I knew I wanted to see it.  I didn’t quite expect how crude, graphic or over-the-top it would be.  It was all that and more.  There are a lot of scenes that a normal Marvel fan might balk at.  There isn’t really much of a synopsis to provide.  Deadpool is a good bad guy, he gets horribly disfigured, goes after the guy who tortured him and kills him.  By just watching the trailers one could discern this.

This is one of those action movies that does do the source material justice.  The caricature of X-men in it was quite entertaining, as was Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.  There wasn’t anything overly original to it, for the most part, yet it was well worth seeing.  The bathroom humour got a little tired as the movie went on, yet Reynolds and his co-stars make it work at every turn.  I hope Deadpool won’t get relegated to the other Marvel movies as a cameo, but it will be fun to see him opposite Captain America.

No comments:

Post a Comment