Friday, January 28, 2011

Keeps Me Coming Back for More

I partake in few regular shows on TV.  I claim I don’t have the time, but I think this is more of a sign of my lack of commitment.  I do love watching live sports, and now that I’m addicted to our hometown Washington Capitals, I find myself having less and less time to devote to TV shows.

Right now, I stick with the hilarious Family Guy, the sexy boys from Supernatural and the compelling Bones.  I miss Lost already.  Of the three current faves, I am going to spotlight Bones.  In the mid-season finale this year, ‘The Doctor in the Photo,’ the viewer is treated to an episode where we see Dr. Brennan over-identify with the victim.  I may be getting ahead of myself, in this show; the viewers follow an FBI Agent, Booth, who works with a renowned anthropologist, Dr. Brennan to solve missing persons/homicides.

The story and cast has evolved a great amount since its inception.  The driving force for this show isn’t so much the story as the characters, which are all believable and viewers can identify with them.  I didn’t think much of the show the first time I saw it, but it left me wanting more, which was why I came back.  I have since watched all of the episodes and have them on DVD/Blu-Ray.

As I started off, in the mid-season finale, the story finally comes to a head, in a manner of speaking.  Dr. Brennan and Agent Booth, at the end of the last season, confront their feelings, but Brennan tells Booth she can’t handle the intimacy, and the season ends with the characters all parting ways for a year.  When Booth returns, as one would expect, he’s in a committed relationship, and Brennan seems troubled by this throughout.  Their relationship grows increasingly tense as the season progresses, and ultimately Brennan begins to realise her mistake.

In ‘The Doctor in the Photo,’ Brennan is confronted by a person she overly identifies with.  The writers and director, in a very clever ploy, go so far as to make the deceased doctor both look and sound like Dr. Brennan, giving the illusion that she is investigating her own death.  It is a slight homage to Dicken’s Christmas Carol, getting a glimpse of what could happen if she continues down the path she’s on.

At some point, the plot begins to veer away from the usual Bones plot, solely following Dr. Brennan and minimising the other characters.  Again, I’d argue that this helps achieve the effect that is needed, if she continues being alone, focusing only on her work, she’ll never be happy.  And once she makes that realisation, the story comes to a close.

She confronts Booth, about her feelings, and he rebuffs her, however gently, she’s brought to tears, a rare sight for the good doctor.  I was really affected by this episode; it threw me for a loop at every turn.  What made it so good was that it didn’t stick to the norm, it couldn’t, but by that same token, the oneness of it made it memorable.  The show has produced countless memorable episodes, but this one has staying power.  It is so rare to see both the two main protagonists develop into a relationship like this and have it be true and honest.  I think this really says a lot about Fox for continuing the show and Kathy Reichs, whom Dr. Brennan is based on, for keeping the stories and characters compelling.  This is by far one of the best kept secret shows around and as I watched the first new episode for the new season last night, it was good, but it does set things up for something more compelling as the season goes on, definitely not one to miss.  Colour to Yellow and Draw Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment