Sunday, June 16, 2013

Movie Review: This is the End

I am not a huge fan of comedies, in general I find them not all that funny or overly funny with very little story.  This one reminded me somewhat of how much celebs think of themselves.  I do understand that the actors claim they were playing caricatures of themselves, but the entire movie just felt like a bunch of actors just having a good time.  There isn’t anything wrong with that, but it just seemed shallow.  I do know that this isn’t the kind of movie you go to for any kind of thought, and it is amusing to think of how celebs would react to being in a situation where the entire world was turning to ash.

The premise is simple enough. Seth Rogen is picking up pal Jay Baruchel.  They spend the day together and then decide to go to James Franco’s house for a party.  Tons of celebs are there and Jay has issues because he isn’t friends with Rogen’s friends.  This minor character discomfort serves as the framework for a thinly veiled story.  The two head out to get cigarettes and while out, everything goes crazy.  People are being sucked into the air, presumably to Heaven, others are fighting for their lives.  When they arrive  back at the party, nothing has happened there, but soon does and tons of celebs get killed in seconds.  What follows is a moderately entertaining and very crude version of six guys being trapped in a house.

The cameos were fun, the movie mildly entertaining.  This is a good movie to see at a matinee price, but more than that and you’re expecting something it won’t deliver, at least it didn’t for me.  I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it, but I didn’t love it, not that I expected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment