Friday, June 17, 2011

Harry Potter Top Ten List Part 2

For our ninth place finishes in the list, I have two characters that are both very polarising in their fandoms.  Both are integral parts to Harry’s success in his battle against Lord Voldemort.  For a recap of #10 for each, see the beginning of the list or hit the tag ‘harry potter’ at the bottom of the page.

Snape
# 9 Least Favourite Character: Severus Snape

I know, he was really in love with Lily, he sacrificed himself for the common good, blah, blah, blah.  In the end, Severus Snape was a callous, sullen child that didn’t get his way and made others pay for his mistake, Lily and James Potter, Sirious Black, Draco Malfoy; he was the reason a lot of people really had a tough go of things.

He is inherently unlikeable, and JK Rowling wants the readers to dislike him so that his redemption at the end is that much sweeter.  But I never felt that way.  Yes you could argue that his actions were justified, but that still doesn’t make them right.  You can both be right and wrong and I think that’s where Snape fits in for me.  To the end he antagonised those he was supposed to be helping.

I have to give Snape credit where it is due, and that’s why he’s at #9 on this list.  He did redeem himself in the end.  But it is his jealous of James Potter, and to some extent, Harry as well, that lead to his ultimate demise.  JK Rowling wrote the series as she did, but as a person, Snape had opportunities to be better much earlier on then what he chose.  In the end, he helped save the world, but the costs could have been averted had he controlled his anger better.


Luna

# 9 Favourite Character: Luna Lovegood

Who doesn’t love Luna?  I mean, she serves a purpose in the story, really helping Harry through a difficult time in the series.  It is in the fifth book, after Harry witnesses Cedric’s murder at the hands of Wormtail, that Luna first crops up.  She isn’t the most helpful character all the time, but her peculiarities grew on me and I found her endearing.  I think more so because both Ginny and Hermione liked her as well.

I think a scene my sister always points out to me is the one that strikes me.  I believe in the 7th book, towards the end, the group are being attacked by Dementors and she tries to encourage Harry to think of something happy, as he is standing in the ruins of Hogwarts.  A lot of credit goes to JK Rowling for giving the line to her, but she evokes such empathy from Harry.  In some ways, they would have been a cute match, but she probably would never challenge Harry the way Ginny can.

If I have time, I’ll try to get the #8’s up soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment